© Copyright Friends of Belper Parks, St Johns Chapel, The Butts, Belper, DE56 1HX, U.K. Site update 1st September 2008
Background aerial photograph courtesy of Amber Valley Borough Council
One mystery is that unlike all the other parks of Duffield Frith, Belper Park was surrounded by a low stone wall, as well as a ridge and ditches. This wall may date from the time of the deer park, or it may be later, a replacement for the difficult to maintain wooden palings at a time when wood became expensive and stone was plentiful.
There were two farms established in the old park by the nineteenth century. Manor Farm dates from 1777 or earlier, and there was a second farm, Park Farm, in the southern section. Each had farm houses, barns and other outbuildings not to be confused with the earlier buildings of the old deer park. There were rights of way through the farms and in the Victorian period, as the town population grew, the old park became very popular as a leisure area. The Lady Well in the Lady Well Wood was a favourite resort for picnickers. the attractive area around the Coppice brook bridge the ford features on old post cards, and the Coppice itself began to be used for fairs and big events.
Belper Park in Duffield Frith -4